[Xastir] geotiff includes on Ubuntu 8.03

Dick Repasky dick.repasky at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 15:23:09 EDT 2008

Tom Russo wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 11:48:30AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
>> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Tom Russo wrote:

> It looks as if the packaged version of libgeotiff-dev on Ubuntu 8.03
> puts the include files down a level under /usr/include instead of dumping
> them right at the top level.  On my systems, where I don't use the packaged
> versions, they're at top level.  We'll pick 'em up Just Fine if they're
> in /usr/include, but not if they're in /usr/include/geotiff/.
>
> This is pretty much a package maintainer issue.  libgeotiff wasn't even
> available as an Ubuntu package for quite some time --- the wiki pages
> for installing libgeotiff on Ubunutu spend a fair amount of time telling the
> user how to do it from source, precisely because it wasn't available in
> the package system for at least the last few releases of Ubuntu..

For what it's worth gdal is also non-standard on Ubuntu 8.  Xastir
configure finds the includes but cannot link the library because there
is no simple reference to it as /usr/lib/libgdal.a or
/usr/lib/libgdal.so. There are only the fully qualified file names -
/usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0.a and /usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0.so.1.11.4 with a
symbolic link /usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0. Xastir built fine after I created
the simple symbolic links libgdal.a and libgdal.so.

Other people who try to compile on Ubuntu Hardy may find that info useful.

Dick