[Xastir] Black jpg maps.

Mitch rodney at melecom.com.au
Sun Jul 6 00:13:10 EDT 2008

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Mitch wrote:
>>
>>> Installed June 26 2008 version of XASTIR 1.9.3, it compiled OK with
>>> GraphicsMagick.
>>>
>>> It seems it cannot handle *.jpg correctly. The X server has been set to
>>> 16
>>> bit colour as suggested in the FAQ.
>>
>> Black images are an indication that the *Magick package wasn't
>> compiled with the correct options.
>
> For anyone who really cares, the correct option during
> GraphicsMagick configure is:
>
>      --with-quantum-depth=16
>
> If the package maintainers didn't specify that during the configure
> stage it defaults to "8" which results in the black images being
> rendered in Xastir.

Hiya Curt and Kurt...  ;)

It sure is an RPM issue, the QuantumDepth has not been set in GraphicsMagick.

The latest source of GraphicsMagick allows ./configure
--with-quantum-depth=16 however it has problems with Perl so nearly there.
Installed the latest version of Perl, 5.10.0 via YUM UPDATE (Fedora 9).

However a 'make' of GraphicsMagick complains of a missing file in the
directory below called 'libperl.a' and fails.

/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/

This file IS there: 'libperl.so' so copied it to 'libperl.a', make clean,
then make again and all OK.

Recompiled Xastir and all graphic functions are back to normal.

ImageMagick is OK:

 /usr/lib/ImageMagick-6.3.8/config/configure.xml

 <configure name="QuantumDepth" value="16"/>

Best to 'rpm -e GraphicsMagick GraphicsMagick-devel' prior make install of
the latest source which is available from GraphicsMagick.org

Thanks to all and regs, Rod.

> If you forget the details in the future, remember the
> xastir/scripts/LSB-BUILD-GRAPHICSMAGICK script.  You'll see the
> above configure option plainly listed.
>
> ImageMagick is probably similar since GM is a fork of the IM code.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
> http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
>    Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
> Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
> The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"
>
> --
> believed to be clean.
> Supported by melecom with a Fedora server.

VK5KFB