[Xastir] Mandriva 2008.1

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 22:46:39 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Dexter N Muir <dexy at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

 >From the xastir HOWTO-Mandriva:

Fyi, the HowTo-Mandriva covers 2007.1 and 2008.0 - it has not been
updated to cover 2008.1, but there are very few differences between
2008.0 and 2008.1

>  Add Libraries
>
> 1. Back at the main software management screen in rpmdrake, search for
> the following packages and mark them for installation if they are not
> already shown to be installed. Note: you do not have to enter the entire
> package name in the search.
>
> gcc         4.2.3      --> put in 4.3.0
> make        3.81
> automake    1.10.1
> autoconf    2.61
> cvs         1.12.13

OK, so far so good.

> 3. Search for the following package, mark it for installation, and
> install it by selecting Apply.
>
>  libstdc++6-devel     --> 4.2.3-6

This applies only to 2007.1 - it is installed automatically as a
dependency in 2008.x - the HowTo says to skip this step for 2008.

> 5. Search for the following set of packages, mark them for installation,
> and install them by selecting Apply. Note: The first 4 are required for
> printing from XASTIR, the 5th, OpenMotif, is required, and libax25 is
> optional (required for I-Gating).
>
>  ImageMagick      6.3.8.9
>  gvfs             0.2.2m - is this it? also installed libgvfs-devel and

The HowTo says gv not gvfs - the gv version is 3.63 in 2008.1
> libgvfs0

>  libxp6           1.0.0    (and -devel)

Yes, selecting libxp-devel will auto-select libxp6 as a dependency

>  libopenmotif4    2.3.0    (and -devel)

The HowTo says libopenmotif3-devel, which is version 2.23, which
will avoid a bug in 2.3.0.  libopemotif3 will be installed also as a
dependency.  If you installed version 2.3, though, it's not a
showstopper.

>  libax25 (no package - built from source? How many other libs and
> packages req'd? fortunately optional) (not tried)

The HowTo says libax25_0-devel - libax25_0 is installed automatically
as a dependency.  My Mandriva 2008.1 is finding these rpms OK.

> 6. Search for the following packages, mark them for installation, and
> install them by selecting Apply. Note: the packages below are not
> absolutely required, but they are highly recommended.
>
>  libmagick-devel 6.3.8.9         10.7.0 from 2008 distro will not select

libmagick-devel is normally what you want, which is version 6.3.8.9.
This is one of the differences between Mandriva 2008.0 and 2008.1.
Selecting libmagick-devel normally installs the libmagick1
package as a dependency.   I believe the problem is that
the 6.4.1 version you installed from source is causing a
conflict. (see below near your configure results)

>                                 - unsatisfied djvulibre  (too new?)
>  libcurl4 (no -devel) 7.18.0

The HowTo says libcurl-devel for 2008 not libcurl4-devel
The version is 7.18, yes.

>  libshapelib1-devel - Not present - shapelib-1.2.8-1.i586 cannot be
> selected (due to unsatisfied PROJ.4[>= 4.4.1])

The HowTo says libshapelib-devel for 2008 not libshapelib1-devel.
On some of these you appear to be looking at the 2007.1 packages
instead of the 2008 versions.  The shapelib version is 1.2.10

>  libpcre-devel 7.6
>  libdb4.6-devel 4.6.21

The above are correct - Mandriva 2008.1 has libdb4.6 and 4.6-devel
vs. db4.5 in the 2008.0 version.

> 7. Optionally search for the following packages, mark them for
> installation, and install them by selecting Apply. Note: the first pair
> enables support for geotiff maps, the 2nd pair enables XASTIR's limited
> GDAL support, and the 3rd pair enables text to speech.
>
>  libproj0-devel - No package -PROJ 4.4.8 installed - but still won't
> allow shapelib!

My Mandriva 2008.1 found libproj0-devel, version 4.6.0, and it
installed libproj0 version 4.6.0 as a dependency.

>  libgeotiff1-devel - No package

That's a change from Mandriva 2008.0 to 2008.1.  In 2008.1 you want
libgeotiff-devel, which is version 1.2.4.

>  libpq8.3_5 8.3.1
>  libgdal1-devel - No package
>  festvox-kedlpc8k 1.4.3 (option - not selected)
>  festival (n -devel) 1.96 (option - not selected)
>
>        (Didn't try any of these)

You probably don't need to bother with any of the above

> ./configure:
>
> options and external libraries:
>
>  MINIMUM OPTIONS:
>   ShapeLib (Vector maps) ................. : yes (internal)
>
>  RECOMMENDED OPTIONS:
>   GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick (Raster maps) : no
>   pcre (Shapefile customization) ......... : yes
>   dbfawk (Shapefile customization) ....... : yes
>   rtree indexing (Shapefile speedups) .... : yes
>   map caching (Raster map speedups) ...... : yes
>   internet map retrieval ................. : yes (wget)

the main thing that needs to be fixed is Imagemagick.
I think the problem is the 6.4.1 version you installed
from source doesn't match the 6.3.89 development
package in the repo.  Can you find an imagemagick
6.4.1 development source package and compile that?
Otherwise, if the 6.4.1 version can be deleted, then
the 6.3.89 packages can be installed.

Another option is to switch to GraphicsMagick.  Your
note says no RPM, but I am seeing them when I search
with the package manager.  I'll look into GraphicsMagick
and send a separate message on what I find there.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT