[Xastir] Tiger 2007 shapefile issue...a beaut

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 13 19:40:03 EDT 2008

Alright, here are the details of the equipment:

 - About 7' of 1.25" PVC pipe with a hole through it for a rubber band
to hold onto GPS unit
 - US GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS receiver - chipset: SiRF STAR-III/LP
 - Cingular 8525 smartphone
 - "Turbo GPS" software Ver 2.00 alpha 8

Did testing in NMEA mode. SiRF mode has the longitude really messed up.
I think I will hit up a couple of BM's and see how bad the data is.
Maybe it may be recoverable by applying Finnegan's Fudge Factor.

Trying to resolve a garbage can using just L1 and a consumer grade GPS
will just give you garbage when you have only ddmm.mmmm to use. I went
in knowing what the maximum resolution is: one count latitude = 0.2222
meters; one count longitude = 0.1630 meters. I was willing to spot the
rig +/- five counts moving so I would say that I made my self-imposed
limit. I thought that it would be worse.

Using a 2m range pole with a surgical sharp pick at the end will do your
feet some damage. You probably have a outrageously overpriced choke ring
antenna on top and that in itself is a real headknocker in its own
right. I did a test with this setup here at home one day over four
hours. I pulled out the NMEA $GPGLL sentences that were at PDOP= 0.6 and
mapped them out. The resulting x-y graph presented an almost circular
pattern of a diameter of 8 counts. Averaging the readings put the
average right in the middle of the chart. I am quite happy with this
mashup. Not professional grade but it will do the jobs that I need it to do.

Have a good week. Now to pull up a property survey to figure out an
issue for someone.

Best Regards,

Richard, N6NKO