[Xastir] newbie help

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:57:38 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Ken Bessler <kg0wx at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Linux and a total newb to Xastir. I'm running Ubuntu HH on a Dell Inspiron 1501.
>
> Q: What is that little oval on the top left of the screen? It appears when I try to configure the
>     interfaces.
>
> Help?

I think the Oval you are seeing is the infamous "cigar" that
confounded some Ubuntu users for a while.  Below is an excerpt from
the solution.  I don't know how to turn off desktop effects in Gnome,
but if you have any problems, I'm sure someone will jump in here.

>> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 11:08:19AM +1030, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wavetel at internode.on.net> flavor, containing:
["Cigar" in Ubuntu with Nvidia card and "Restricted Driver"

>> This is extraordinarily puzzling.  You don't, by any chance, have "Desktop
>> Effects" enabled, do you?
>>

> Well Tom herein lies more answers.. Ive never looked at "Desktop Effects"
> and had a job finding that setup frankly.. But yes I have Desktop Effects
> set to Normal in Gnome. So I disabled it to None and bingo no more Cigar
> problems.. So maybee it depends what video card I have but ultimately its
> Related to Gnome and Desktop effects with the restricted video drivers.

Regards.
Lee - K5DAT