[Xastir] newbie help

Ken Bessler kg0wx at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:09:23 EDT 2008

> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:57:38 -0500
> From: lee.bengston at gmail.com
> To: xastir at xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] newbie help
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Ken Bessler  wrote:
>>
>> I'm fairly new to Linux and a total newb to Xastir. I'm running Ubuntu HH on a Dell Inspiron 1501.
>>
>> Q: What is that little oval on the top left of the screen? It appears when I try to configure the
>> interfaces.
>>
>> Help?
>
> I think the Oval you are seeing is the infamous "cigar" that
> confounded some Ubuntu users for a while. Below is an excerpt from
> the solution. I don't know how to turn off desktop effects in Gnome,
> but if you have any problems, I'm sure someone will jump in here.

That was it! For you Ubuntu users, go to System-Preferences-Appearance and click the
"Visual Effects" tab. Select "no effects".

I also got Soundmodem running and I connected my gps via port 2947 from GPSD. Xastir
shows three circles around my position (blue, yellow and red) AND shows my speed (zero,
as my desktop doesn't move that quickly lol)....

But...... How do I connect Xastir and soundmodem?

Ken KG0WX