[Xastir] newbie help

Ken Bessler kg0wx at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:38:42 EDT 2008

> From: jronan at tssg.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] newbie help
> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:56:08 +0100
> To: xastir at xastir.org
>

> On 25 Jul 2008, at 16:27, Ken Bessler wrote:
>

>>> In xastir
>>>
>>> Interface -> Interface Control -> Add -> AX25 TNC
>>>
>>> Should do it.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Maybe I'm dumb, but do I just name the interface "1k2" or do
>> I name it "1k2 speed 1200"?
>>
> hmmm not sure.. and not at home.. you have to use (in xastir) the
> same name as what is in the axports file
>> Also, I'm worried about my soundmodem start script:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/soundmodem /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf -R -M>/dev/null 2>/
>> dev/null&
>> sleep 1
>> /sbin/ifconfig sm0 hw ax25 kg0wx-1 up
>> sleep 1
>> /sbin/route add -host 44.94.11.8 dev sm0
>>
>> I manually enter these commands after every boot. I got them off a
>> website but I can no longer find the site. I suspect the "/dev/
>> null" and
>> the "host 44.94.11.8" may be wrong. I will make a script for them
>> after
>> I'm sure they work. Any ideas?
> /dev/null only dumps the output from soundmodem..... no biggie..
> the route command will be specific to your local ip network, so if
> your not using IP.. I'm not sure it will matter that much.
>
> I've not used soundmodem in a while myself.. so I'm a bit hazy on
> this stuff.. apologies.
>
> John

Well, I *think* I found a solution: a URL that gives step by step
instructions on how to setup soundmodem and Xastir. The URL's are:

http://www.kj4ajw.com/node/16
http://www.kj4ajw.com/node/17
http://www.kj4ajw.com/node/18

That's a 3 page how to.

Now my interface shows both soundmodem and my GPS as "up". I was
getting a breif error on startup of xastir saying "/dev/soundmodem0" was
not found. I fixed that by running the soundmodem config as root in order
to get permission to write in the directory.

I'm still NOT showing any other stations or any maps. I've Googled to
all ends with no help.

You guys are my last hope - this is a fine program but I've been at
it for 3 days now and I'm running out of ideas.

Help - PLEASE?