[Xastir] Font error during compile

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jul 25 19:39:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 05:58:56PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > I investigated and found a bunch of files in the source directory
> > owned by root. Whoever configured this virtual machine must have been
> > a little sudo-happy ;-). I chowned everything back to xubuntu:xubuntu
> > and the update/install went fine.
>
> Yeah, that was my fault.  I think I did a sudo bash, ran the
> get-maptools script and forgot to exit out of that before moving on to
> bootstrap and configure.  This was mentioned previously as one of the
> issues with the Hardy virtual machine.  The other issue is that when
> Xubuntu is updated, it updates the Berkeley db4.5 to db4.6, but it
> doesn't automatically update db4.5-dev to db4.6-dev, which results in
> a mismatch and map cacheing doesn't work.  Hopefully I got those
> version numbers right.  I think all that needs to be done to fix it is
> to remove db4-5-dev and then install db4.6-dev.

Since I haven't had time to fix the VM, and am unlikely to in the near future,
I've gone ahead and documented the various fixes I can remember in the Wiki.
Right under the links to download the VM I've placed a note that there are
Issues to be fixed, and in that text I've placed a link to the "Enhancing and
changing the virtual machine" section, into which I've placed instructions
for fixing the build directory permissions, the map caching issue, and the
sporadic networking problems some have observed.

We Apologize for the Inconvenience.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach