[Xastir] APRS Servers and verified connections

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Jul 26 00:30:01 EDT 2008

If any of you have been wondering why you've not been getting into the
APRS-IS Core servers with reports, or weather, we made a change last
weekend.

In one of the poorest times I think I've ever picked for a server
change, we changed all 3 Core servers to align with what the Tier2 folks
decided to do several months ago:  Require all connections be verified.
  I refer the interested student to the 'callpass' program for "How do I
find a passcode" questions.

The purpose? To push forward the separation of CWOP and APRS-IS traffic.
  CWOP now has its own servers and they're really doing nicely.  APRS-IS
has its own, comprising the Core and the Tier2 folks, and several
others.  Last January, as a consequence of Davis Instruments selling a
bunch of weather stations, we saw a spike in Packets/sec on the APRS-IS
servers (hosting CWOP), with poor performance, dropped connections and
dropped packets and other server-overload problems.After a bit of
analysis it became obvious that the frequency of updates, and the
predisposition of weather to align themselves with other stations for
observations every 5 min or so, was slamming our APRS-IS servers.

We found some volunteers to run dedicated CWOP servers and stabilized
the Core server situation after some potential problems, and started the
painful process of getting CWOP members (non-hams, that is) to move over
to the cwop.aprs.net rotation, and the Hams to connect to
rotate.aprs.net as before

FindU connects to all the APRS-IS Core and all the CWOP servers to
gather its data.  The backup FindU server does the same thing.  There's
a CWOP aggregation server that does the same thing, again.

If anyone wants to see all weather stations on a map (think "Sea of
Blue") they can point Xastir toward cwop.tamu.edu Port 30001 and see the
stations pop up.

Questions? Comments?
Thanks, Gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983