[Xastir] Font troubles

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 29 00:29:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Steve Friis wrote:

> I had a machine with Fedora Core 5 on it and decided to upgrade to Fedora 8.
> I did a fresh bear bones installation. Everything went smoothly, got all the
> libraries I wanted loaded, built it, installed it and then ran it. All looks
> great except I am getting some very strange errors now. I guess this is from
> the changes made using customizable fonts?

I knew the font stuff might cause problems.  The reason is that
there is no "standard" font, so if I choose anything at all it won't
work for some people.  Unfortunately I had to choose something.

Here's what I would suggest.  Kill Xastir.  Edit the
~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file to change the fonts it is using to
something that your system has.  You can play with "xfontsel" to
decide on some fonts to try.

Once you get those fonts into the config file, start Xastir up again
and see if it's happy.

If Xastir is running ok for you except for those warning messages,
you can shortcut the above and go to File->Configure->Fonts, then
click on the xfontsel buttons one by one to select the fonts there.

I've also been asked why I don't send the current font selection to
xfontsel when the button is pushed:  The reason is evident from
xfontsel's man page -- if you pass it a font specification then that
becomes a filter for the possible fonts you can select from.  I
didn't want to limit the choices for the user.

Oh yea, another thing:  There's also the "system" font which is
supposed to be defined on every system.  I found that my system here
had two fonts defined with that alias, one normal and one Cyrillic.
I ended up with little boxes and weird symbols instead of English
text.  That pushed me towards finally choosing some specific fonts,
so I tried to choose some that were installed on most systems.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer