[Xastir] Objects issue?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jul 29 00:34:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:23:35PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Patrick Domack wrote:
>
> > Any idea where to look in the source for the incoming object recording
> > *feature*, so I can manually hack it out on my build?
>
> So I'd start there, then look for object/item decoding routines that
> get called from there.  A likely thing to do would be to check when
> decoding an object/item to see what interface it came in on (whether
> loopback or a real interface).  If not the loopback interface,
> refuse to accept it as our own.
>
> If you come up with something good for a fix, send it our way.  If
> you have further questions, send them our way too.

At least one useful APRS script
(http://mckeehan.homeip.net/amateurradio/APRS/aprstracker.htm) makes use of
this feature by injecting objects into Xastir's server port, causing them
to be funnelled out the RF ports.  If you "fix" this issue outside of a local
build, you'll break that script (any any others that exploit this quirk).  So
one should at least allow the option of accepting as our own anything fed
in through our own server port, too.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach