[Xastir] Xastir-Hardy VM Revised

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Wed Jul 30 16:25:02 EDT 2008

> Bob said this:  "Actually they don't have to create it, if their
> client supports importing it - import it using the existing torrent
> file, then you get added to the trackers."

This is correct, however there is no existing torrent file (for this
release). To create a torrent file, I need a copy of the zip file with
the virtual machine. If someone has already completed the download,
they can create the torrent file. At that point everyone else can
import/run this torrent file to download and then assist in uploading
the virtual machine to everyone else.

BitTorrent background: clients import/run a .torrent file that
includes a tracker URL, hash, and piece list. Torrents are distributed
with pieces. Each piece is a 256KB (this varies) chunk of the file (in
this case, a zip file containing a virtual machine). The Tracker
(server) coordinates piece transactions between clients. If a client
has a piece, the tracker knows this and if another client requests
this piece, the tracker will instruct the clients to connect to each
other. The Tracker does not actually transfer pieces, just arranges
the transactions. As soon as a client has any piece of the torrent
downloaded, it can begin serving that piece to other clients. Clients
are referred to as "leechers" if they have not completed downloading,
and "seeders" if they have completed downloading all pieces.

So in short, Xastir-Hardy_080729.zip can't be distributed via
BitTorrent until someone who has a copy of it creates a .torrent file.

Tom KD7LXL