[Xastir] Xastir and maps lockup - found part of problem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 31 15:58:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Alex Carver wrote:

> I'll give it a shot.  It's currently using IM which means a lot of
> fun trying to uninstall IM and install GM in its place.

Nope.

You just have to install GM and GM-dev.  Xastir's configure program
should find it and prefer it over IM.

> Well, I figured that part. ;)  I meant if there were any ideas why
> the system is leaking in the first place.  The Xastir process is
> the one consuming the memory.  There aren't any IM/GM processes
> running when Xastir is locked up.  In fact, only Xastir is the one
> locked up since the desktop still works fine.

It may be that you hit some memory limit and the kernel killed one
of the Xastir processes, but not the main one.  It could be several
other things.

Hard to tell.  I suppose once could set up the system to do a
crashdump, then crash it when it was in that state and take a
debugger to the dump file.

I've run Xastir through both a profiler and a leak tester several
times.  Most of the leaks that Xastir proper has are quite minor.  I
can't speak to the libraries it uses though.  Their leaks are their
own.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer