[Xastir] Xastir and maps lockup - found part of problem

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 15:35:56 EDT 2008

--- On Thu, 7/31/08, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> From: Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Xastir and maps lockup - found part of problem
> To: "Xastir - APRS client software discussion" <xastir at xastir.org>
> Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 3:28 PM
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Alex Carver wrote:
>
> > So I poked around and apparently what happened was
> that Xastir
> > used up all the free RAM in the system.  Killing off
> the process
> > releases almost 30 MB of  RAM.  The system has 512 MB
> total, with
> > Xastir freshly restarted there's 28 MB free.
>
> > Top showed Xastir as the largest memory footprint in
> the system
> > when it got stuck.  Barely any CPU was being used but
> quite a bit
> > of RAM.
>
> If you're using ImageMagick, try GraphicsMagick.  If
> GM, try IM.
> One of those is likely the culprit.

I'll give it a shot.  It's currently using IM which means a lot of fun trying to uninstall IM and install GM in its place.

> > Any ideas why the memory consumption would keep
> creeping up with
> > the GIF raster map?
>
> If it's a radar map or otherwise refreshed image, any
> memory leak
> inherent in the system will be increased each 10 minutes or
> so,
> whatever the refresh rate is in the .geo file.

Well, I figured that part. ;)  I meant if there were any ideas why the system is leaking in the first place.  The Xastir process is the one consuming the memory.  There aren't any IM/GM processes running when Xastir is locked up.  In fact, only Xastir is the one locked up since the desktop still works fine.