[Xastir] Fedora 9 good news

John Dvoracek ke5c at hot.rr.com
Sun Jun 1 03:28:18 EDT 2008

Xastir is now running on two computers here and drawing maps.

I updated my triple boot XP, FreeDOS, Linux box from Fedora 6 (where
Xastir was working) to Fedora 9, and I did the yum install method.  This
was the very first extra package I installed, and to my great and joyous
surprise, it worked out of the box - online maps included.

This caused me to try Eric's (W4OTN) approach to the problem some of us
had installing from the repository.  I uninstalled Xastir and deleted
every xastir directory I could find.  Then I rebooted and reinstalled,
and now this Thinkpad T23 has working online maps too.

I don't know how much festival is used with xastir, but I have to
manually start a festival server before I start xastir:

[root at T23 ~]# festival --server &
[1] 3129
[root at T23 ~]# server    Sun Jun  1 02:16:53 2008 : Festival server
started on port 1314
xastir

Or I get an error when I start xastir:

festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

Thanks for all the help getting loaded and working on Fe9!

73 -- John