[Xastir] Fedora 9 good news

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 1 15:05:48 EDT 2008

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, John Dvoracek wrote:

> This caused me to try Eric's (W4OTN) approach to the problem some of us
> had installing from the repository.  I uninstalled Xastir and deleted
> every xastir directory I could find.  Then I rebooted and reinstalled,
> and now this Thinkpad T23 has working online maps too.

Which makes me think that some of these installs put Xastir into the
OS-standard location (/usr/*) instead of the
user-installed-application location (/usr/local/*).  If you've run
Xastir before on the system you'll have a ~/.xastir/ directory set
up with your per-user config files.  If you then deinstall and
reinstall Xastir in a new location, the paths in your per-user
config files will be wrong, it won't be able to find maps, etc.

> I don't know how much festival is used with xastir, but I have to
> manually start a festival server before I start xastir:
>
> Or I get an error when I start xastir:

Actually a warning.  If you don't normally use Festival (speech)
from within Xastir, don't start it, and ignore that warning.  It
won't hurt anything.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer