[Xastir] New Xastir virtual machine with Xubuntu 8.04 available.

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:41:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> Just checked.  There is indeed a copy of a recent CVS checkout of Xastir
> in the src directory of the default user, and a CVS
> update/bootstrap and a configure/make in the build directory will bring it up
> to date.  That process is described in the Wiki article.

Yup, the idea was to duplicate what had been done with the previous VM
including compiling from CVS with everything except Festival and GDAL.
 I believe the date of the build was May 10th or May 11th, but as Tom
indicates, it's easy to update via the process documented in the Wiki.
 I haven't read the updated Wiki yet, but the previous version was
very well done and very detailed, and therefore probably took some
work to revise.  Thanks Tom!

Fyi, when I "played" the new VM in VMware server (after Tom's tweak
with the new VMware tools), the window didn't exactly autofit - it
still came up in 800x600 mode.  However, I was able to change the
resolution very simply using the Ubuntu display settings instead of
running the cryptic vmware-config perl script, which is still a big
improvement.  I haven't tried running the new VM in VMware Player, so
perhaps it will auto-fit there.  I understand the real intent is to
use it with VMware Player.

One item Tom passed on to me was the link below.  It contains a nice
little mod of VMware tools using open-vm-tools.  He used it with the
latest VMware tools in VMware Workstation, and I have found that it
also works with the latest version of VMware Server.  VMware tools
without the mod has problems installing properly in Ubuntu 8.04 and at
least a few other newer linux distributions.

http://peterc.org/2008/62-how-to-install-vmware-tools-on-ubuntu-hardy-804-under-vmware-fusion.html

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX