[Xastir] New Xastir virtual machine with Xubuntu 8.04 available.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jun 13 20:05:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 06:53:29PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:55:11PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:50:55PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> > >
> > > Does this VM support updating Xastir code from
> > > CVS/compiling/installing?
> >
> > Yes, all libraries and headers required for building Xastir are installed.
> > All except GDAL and festival, that is --- GDAL is barely used in Xastir
> > and not worth building in for most users, and not including festival is just
> > a habit at this point.
> >
> > I do not recall whether the VM contains a current checkout of CVS Xastir or
> > not, and I'm not near a machine with the VM installed for at least another
> > few hours.  If Lee knows the answer perhaps he'll pipe in before then, but
> > regardless I'll double check tonight and see.  When I had built the earlier
> > VMs I always had a CVS checkout and a build directory there ready to go,
> > and Lee emulated my approach when he built this VM, so I'm guessing there
> > is.
>
> Just checked.  There is indeed a copy of a recent CVS checkout of Xastir
> in the src directory of the default user, and a CVS
> update/bootstrap and a configure/make in the build directory will bring it up
> to date.  That process is described in the Wiki article.

Sadly, with the help of a new user who grabbed the VM after a post on
APRSSIG, we've found a number of problems with the VM that was uploaded,
and I'm now trying to enumerate them, document the fixes, and get a new
one ready.  Those who have already downloaded it will have a list of things
they can do to bring their VM up to snuff without downloading a new one.

Apologies for that.  The problems include a mismatched Berkeley DB library
and header set (breaking caching), inoperable cut/paste despite my claim (and
this appears to be something to do with Xubuntu, not something I can fix),
an unwritable build directory, and some problems bringing up networking.

If you wanted to download the VM, hold off.  If you already did, wait a
day or so and I'll try to have a new list of things to do to get it to 100%.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson