[Xastir] Canadian Topo Maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 10:37:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:

> It's saying there's no images directory under your working directory.

Here are the latest instructions in the 250k script:

# - "cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps"
#
# - Assure you have write privileges in the directory above either
#   by becoming root using the "su" command, using "sudo", or
#   temporarily changing ownership and/or privileges on the
#   "maps" directory.
#
# - "/usr/local/lib/xastir/toporama250k.pl"
#
# - The script will create/populate this directory heirarchy:
#   .../maps/toporama/images/
#   .../maps/toporama/images/b250k/
#
# - Move/rename directories/contents as you wish.
#
# - In Xastir:  "Map->Configure->Index: Reindex ALL Maps!"

You'll see that it tries to create the .../toporama/ and
.../images/ directories, among others.

More than likely you don't have write privileges in the maps
directory, therefore can't create directories or write files there.

There are several ways around this as listed above.  Since I do most
of my work as one user, I set my maps directory to be owned by that
user, writable by that user, and readable by everyone else.

NOTE:  Do NOT perform recursive commands like described below unless
you are sure of where you are in the filesystem and know that
changes to directories/files below there won't corrupt your system.
You're doing these commands as "root" after all, so nothing prevents
you from screwing up system file/directory permissions if you
execute the command from the wrong place.  You've been warned.

  su                         # Become root
  cd /usr/local/share/xastir
  chown -R archer maps       # Owner: "archer" recursively
  chmod -R u+rw maps         # Owner:  "rw" recursively
  chmod -R go+r maps         # Group/Other: "r" recursively
  chmod -R go-w maps         # Group/Other: No "w" recursively
  exit                       # Exit from root

This changes the ownership ("chown") of the maps directory and every
directory/file below it to "archer" with group ownership "users".
Permissions for the owner are now "rw", permissions for group and
"other" are at least "r".

My long listing (ls -l) of "maps" now looks like this:

  drwxr-xr-x 23 archer users ... ... ... maps

About the only thing missing from the commands above would be
setting the 'x' flag for each directory (but not for each file
because I don't want them to be executable).  This is probably set
already when each directory is created.  I've always found this a
bit of a pain to set on directories but not on files, using the
"find" command and it's weird syntax:

    find maps -type d -exec chmod ugo+x {} \;

A quick look at the man page for chmod tells me that there's now an
'X' option that should handle this, so something like this would be
much easier than the "find" command above:

    chmod -R a+X maps

I haven't tried that last but as I said it's probably unnecessary as
all the little x's on directories will probably already be set.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer