Solved: [Xastir] XASTIR and openSUSE 11

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 11:17:25 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> I had removed a LOT of packages on that machine before the 11.0
> upgrade in order to free up enough space.  Perhaps there were some
> font packages available in 10.x that aren't in 11.x?  I did a search
> in YaST for font packages and installed all relevant ones.
>
> The first machine that I took from 10.0 to 11.0 didn't have the
> problem.  I have several more machines to upgrade, so I'll try to
> solve this problem on the one before I cause the problem on more.  I
> have one 11.0 box working so I should be able to compare installed
> packages between the two.

Installing these two packages appeared to fix fonts for Xastir
w/OpenSUSE-11.0:

    fonttools
    terminus-font

I suspected it was the latter that fixed the problem so I removed
that RPM and restarted Xastir.  Fonts were still ok.

So...  Either I have some cached fonts left somewhere in the system
from having had terminus-font on there previously, or the fonttools
package may have been needed to put fonts in place, convert fonts,
etc.  I'm no expert on fonts:  If they work, I don't mess with them.
If I can read them, they're good enough.

When I convert the next box (might be tonight depending on time) and
maybe find the same problem, I'll try to remember to add the
packages one at a time to determine which fixes the problem.

Maybe you only have _one_ of the two packages installed and can
therefore answer the question directly?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer