Solved: [Xastir] XASTIR and openSUSE 11

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 12:08:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Installing these two packages appeared to fix fonts for Xastir
> w/OpenSUSE-11.0:
>
>     fonttools
>     terminus-font
>
> I suspected it was the latter that fixed the problem so I removed
> that RPM and restarted Xastir.  Fonts were still ok.

Never mind.  The above fix appears to be a red herring.  Bob tried
it and it didn't fix the problem.

Fonts are usually provided by the X server (where your X11 windows
are appearing), not the machine where the executable is running if
they're not one and the same machine.  I must run Xastir locally on
the problem machine to test properly.

The first machine I upgraded to 11.0 works properly WRT fonts.  I
tested it remotely and locally.

The 2nd machine with the broken menus may not be operating properly
even with the above two packages added.  I tested it most recently
remotely:  The fonts get supplied by the X11 server (where I'm
sitting), so I've changed the test conditions.  The problem
originally showed up when running Xastir locally on the problem
machine so I need to test it again the same way.

I can't run "xlsfonts" remotely on the problem box because it opens
an X11 session back to where I am sitting and checks what fonts are
available on my X11 display.

Another thing to check might be font paths in the X11 server
configuration file.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer