[Xastir] Lockups on a fresh system

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 15:40:39 EDT 2008

--- On Wed, 6/25/08, Ray Wells  wrote:

> From: Ray Wells
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Lockups on a fresh system
> To: "Alex Carver"
> Cc: xastir at xastir.org
> Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:59 AM
> Alex Carver wrote:
> I know this was a couple of weeks ago but I finally started
> getting
> lockups with bulletins turned on, but I can't be
> absolutely sure of
> what's causing them. I first suspected xfbb because it
> appeared to
> happen around housekeeping at 2.00am, but the next night
> the time was
> different, and then it happened through the day when, in a
> sense,
> nothing was happening except the usual apps - fpac, fbb,
> xastir - were
> running. The system has been stable for near two years so
> it's hard to
> point the finger at the "usual" things.
>
> The only thing different that I did over the weekend was to
> change the
> zoom level on the maps I use. I normally run 270 to see the
> local digi
> coverage area but I took this to 700 to keep an eye on a
> mobile about
> 150km away. In total, the machine locked up 4 times in two
> days.
>
> Since turning off bulletins, and retaining zoom 700, the
> machine hasn't
> locked up again.
>
> The maps are topographic maps, if that is significant.

The only maps I had going were the Tiger shapefiles.  However, I've since switched to Fluxbox from Gnome (which was the default on the installation) and everything is fine.  So there was something going on in the background with one of the multitude of applications that Gnome installs that likely caused the problem.  It's been nearly flawless with Fluxbox.