[Xastir] Lockups on a fresh system

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 12:20:10 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Ray Wells wrote:

> Since turning off bulletins, and retaining zoom 700, the machine hasn't locked
> up again.
>
> The maps are topographic maps, if that is significant.

Probably, unless you're either tracking a station (which causes maps
to update often), or using radar maps (which also cause maps to
update often).

Are you playing around with the Xastir menus or just letting it run?

It's doubtful that the zoom level affected anything.

Have you checked the memory use in Xastir?  Perhaps some updated
library has caused more of a memory leak than usual.  It's normal
for memory use to grow over time.  Filtering the internet feeds by
radius slows this down greatly.

"top" and then typing 'M' will show processes sorted by resident
memory use.

I've seen ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick take extraordinary amounts of
memory during repeated map draws.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer