[Xastir] Font Problems in Menus, FIXED!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 26 10:04:26 EDT 2008

This message has a very specific subject line so that others with
this problem can find this message in the archives.

People have occasionally reported boxes and other weird characters
instead of readable text for the Xastir menus.  A font problem was
fixed yesterday in the Xastir code that can cause this.  The fix is
in CVS and in the July 26th development snapshot.  Just in time for
Field Day!

If you still have such a problem with the new code, it's likely that
you don't have sufficient X11 (Xorg?) font packages installed.
This is the font we're using for the system menus:

  *.fontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

There are a couple of defines in main.c that can give you larger or
smaller system fonts as well:

  //#define USE_LARGE_SYSTEM_FONT
  //#define USE_SMALL_SYSTEM_FONT

Uncomment _one_ of the above defines in main.c if you wish to try
them, then of course recompile Xastir.  The fonts the above two
defines enable are:

  *.fontList: -misc-fixed-*-r-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
  *.fontList: -misc-fixed-*-r-*-*-7-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

For those who wish the _station_ text to be larger, there's also:

  //#define USE_LARGE_STATION_FONT

Which uses this font:

  -*-*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Note that with that last font you may need to modify it to look like
the large system font above if you're not getting readable text.
The above font string lets X11 decide which font to use:  X11 might
guess incorrectly.

Tools for checking out your installed fonts:  "xfontsel" and "xfd":

    xfontsel &
    xfd -fn "-*-courier new-*-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

Other main.c defines that you might wish to investigate/play with:

  #define FIXED_DIALOG_STARTUP
  #define SWAP_MOUSE_BUTTONS
  #define USE_TWO_STATUS_LINES
  #define LCD640x480TOUCH