[Xastir] Map question

Earl Needham earl_needham at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 04:49:44 EST 2008

At 14:05 3/4/2008, Earl Needham wrote:

>         I'm downloading some maps from ftp://aprs.tamu.edu and have
> a question.  Usually I use the online Tiger maps, and they work
> great for scrolling as I drive along.  Will downloaded maps do the same thing?

         Well, I got with Steve Friis, WM5Z tonight, and he gave me
three DVDs with all those maps on them.  They load kinda slow, don't
they?  It appears they are loading counties, shapefiles, and some
kind of "poly" file for every county that appears in your
screen.  That's a lot of data, some of those maps are really big.  I
may have to figure something else out for these maps.

         Thanks, Steve!

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham