[Xastir] Map question

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 06:32:26 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:49 AM, Earl Needham <earl_needham at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  They load kinda slow, don't
>  they?  It appears they are loading counties, shapefiles, and some
>  kind of "poly" file for every county that appears in your
>  screen.  That's a lot of data, some of those maps are really big.  I
>  may have to figure something else out for these maps.

Yep, lots of detail, and pretty slow if you can see too much at once.

I use them for zoom levels less than 128 or so.  For higher zoom
levels, I use roads from NOAA and states, counties, railroads, water,
etc shapefiles from nationalatlas.gov.  Some dbfawks for these are on
my web page at http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/xastir/ .

-Jason
kg4wsv