[Re: [Xastir] Cigar problem]

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Mar 8 08:58:26 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 10:39:03PM +1030, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wavetel at bigpond.com> flavor, containing:

>> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 11:08:19AM +1030, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wavetel at internode.on.net> flavor, containing:
["Cigar" in Ubuntu with Nvidia card and "Restricted Driver"

>> This is extraordinarily puzzling.  You don't, by any chance, have "Desktop
>> Effects" enabled, do you?
>>

> Well Tom herein lies more answers.. Ive never looked at "Desktop Effects"
> and had a job finding that setup frankly.. But yes I have Desktop Effects
> set to Normal in Gnome. So I disabled it to None and bingo no more Cigar
> problems.. So maybee it depends what video card I have but ultimately its
> Related to Gnome and Desktop effects with the restricted video drivers.

Desktop effects are generally disabled by default and one has to turn them
on deliberately.  They come with warnings that they could screw things up, and
are supposed to be a pretty experimental feature --- and since they're just
eye candy I have never bothered.

Glad my shot in the dark found a target.