[Xastir] Vista and Xastir

Charles Suprin aa1vs at arrl.net
Sat Mar 15 18:17:41 EDT 2008

Hello all,

Just a quick little update for anyone trying to run xastir under Vista.

Following the directions in README.win32 there may be some errors that
appear. In particular *"child_copy*: linked dll data write copy failed"
when you are running xastir.  For me they were occurring with both
xastir and sometimes with xterm, thereby preventing me from starting X.
Looking on the internet many X applications and ssh all suffer this problem.

The solution appears to be rebasing the dlls.  (Resetting the base
address where dll's get loaded.)

To do this install the "ash" and "rebase" cygwin packages.

Once installed, shutdown all your normal cygwin processes.
Then start a windows command (cmd) prompt.
Change to your cygwin bin directory. cd c:\cygwin\bin
Execute ash.exe
Then at the $ prompt ./rebaseall

This solved the problem for me under Windows Vista Home Premium. I am
monitoring the message feed off first.aprs.net

Charles
AA1VS