[Xastir] Xastir and Slackware Slax

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:56:59 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Tony Hunt wrote:
>
> > I also see that previously some have tried to get Slax going with a
> version
> > of Xastir. Did anything come of this ? Ive looked on the xastir binary
> > downloads page and all the slackware packages are non existant on the
> links
> > given..
>
> I've compiled Xastir on Slackware many times, even on ZipSlack, but
> that was years ago.  You should be able to compile from sources on
> Slackware quite easily with the modern slackware.  What difficulties
> are you having?  Don't look for a package:  Download the sources and
> follow the instructions in the INSTALL document to compile/install.

I have compiled Xastir from source in VectorLinux 5.9, which is based on
Slackware 12.0.  I believe I grabbed almost all of the applicable libraries
from Slackware repositories.  It sounds like a key is to bridge the gap
between Slackware and Slax.  I'm thinking that each library available in the
Slackware repositories that is required (as well as optional ones you
desire) for compiling Xastir could be converted to a Slax module and added
to your OS.  It might take some time, but once done, you should be able to
compile Xastir.  Knock on wood, though, 'cause at first glance, it appears
that there would not be any automated dependency handling like one gets with
apt-get, etc.

Regards,
Lee-K5DAT