[Xastir] Tiger 2007 map displays....

Craig Anderson acraiga at pacbell.net
Wed May 14 04:01:47 EDT 2008

Hi all,
	I've been hacking on the dbfawk files that Richard Polivka, N6NKO
put together and have come up with a map display that approximates the
Online Tiger maps, except they're built out of local Tiger/Line data
files.
One part is the dbfawk files and the other is modifications to the
~/.xastir/map_index.sys file to get some of the parts of the Tiger maps
to have different layer numbers than others.

I have the six western states of the Tiger/Line 2007 files loaded on my
laptop; this makes for a *lot* of files to set level numbers on.  So,
when
you have this many of the Tiger map files, the easiest way to change
some of the Tiger maps to have different layers is to use "vi" on the
map_index.sys file while xastir is not running.  Once you are editing
the file, use the following 3 commands in "vi" to change the layers.
This assumes that, like with my xastir, new maps get added into the
list at layer 1000.

:g/tabblock/s/01000/00995/
:g/pointlm/s/01000/00996/
:g/arealm/s/01000/00997/

(translation: global search throughout the file for lines with "arealm"
and substitute on that line for "01000", a "00997")

This moves the tabblock (& tabblock00) files, pointlm files, and arealm
files down underneath the roads maps.  Otherwise the roads can get
covered up by urban background coloring.  Or you can do this through
the GUI interface as well.

Craig
n6yxk

PS.  For some reason, I could not get the secondary roads to limit
their display_level correctly.  They just always showed up even
when they shouldn't.  If you figure it out, please let me know.

The dbfawk files are here (11 files):