[Xastir] Fedora 9: yum install xastir - fine business but map help needed

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 19 01:47:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, John Dvoracek wrote:

> I was forced into re-installing my Thinkpad T23 when Fedora 7 and
> madwifi would no longer cooperate (not that they ever did very well).  I
> opted for Fedora 9 and had noticed the earlier posts about an rpm which
> I think is fantastic, but I can't get any maps to show and I no longer
> can even guess where to look.  All the pieces seem present - Shapelib,
> pcre, lcms, ImageMagick, libcurl/wget, libtif, libproj, libgeotiff.
> Whether they are talking with xastir I don't know.  The /Online map
> files are present, but they are in /usr/share/xastir/maps instead
> of /usr/share/local/xastir/maps as mentioned in the README.MAPS - would
> that matter?  Have other Fedora 9 users had any map issues?  Thanks!

Yes, it matters.  There are path settings that are default in Xastir
which are written into your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file.  If
those don't match where you have things actually on your system,
Xastir can't find them.

You might try creating a symbolic link like this as root:

    cd /usr/local/share
    ln -s /usr/share/xastir

That should make a link like this:

/usr/local/share/xastir -> /usr/share/xastir

So that Xastir thinks everything is in the "regular" location.

Of course I might have this backwards, depending on how your binary
was compiled and what paths are in your Xastir config file.  It
should give you something to work with though, so tweak as necessary
to make it work on your system.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer