[Xastir] Transmit Shapefile ?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue May 20 15:18:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, William McKeehan wrote:

> If I had a way to transmit the maps, then
> anyone interested could see them regardless of which APRS client they are
> using and without any need to send them via another route before the event.

I'm not sure there's enough consistency in the various
implementations to be able to do this with the current clients.
Some testing would tell you, but you'd have to test each client and
carefully compare the displays.  There are enough ambiguities or
omissions in the APRS spec and addendums that it's difficult to know
exactly what is the correct implementation.

> As far as the assign tactical calls goes, I do use that feature from
> time-to-time. I'd really like to see an extension to APRS that would allow
> that information to be transmitted as well - I think the NCS station should be
> assigning tactical calls and sharing that information with others in the
> field.

APRS+SA as I recall had a method to do that.  I believe it's listed
on the feature request list for Xastir to implement the same method,
but has not been implemented yet.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer