[Xastir] still trying to install on Fedora 9

ke5c at hot.rr.com ke5c at hot.rr.com
Wed May 28 16:01:09 EDT 2008

yum install xastir on Fedora 9 still installs a Xastir that does not work with maps on this Thinkpad T23.  I know some changes were made in the Fedora 8 repository for the Xastir package, but when I asked if those changes were made to the Fedora 9 repository, no answer.

Thus I am trying to install the old way, and when I get to downloading the cvs source, I am denied:

[root at T23 ~]# cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/xastir
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to [xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net]:2401 failed: Connection refused

I tried no password per the wiki, and I tried my email address as per usual anonymous logins.  BTW, an earlier part of the wiki doesn't work with Fedora 9. The package management is quite different in Fedora 9, and there is no Applications>Add/Remove Software option.  Instead we have System>Administration>Add/Remove packages but you have to specify individual packages, not "development tools:.  Below does not exist:

If by chance, you didn't install Fedora with the required development tools, start the 'Add/Remove Software' tool from the Applications Menu. Choose 'Development' and make sure you have the following groups installed:

    * Development Libraries
    * Development Tools
    * Gnome or KDE development (depending on your desktop of choice)
    * X Software Development

I've heard of folks successfully building Xastir on Fedora 9, so I guess I need to find the source somewhere other than cvs?

73 -- john