[Xastir] Symbol Set

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Wed Apr 1 16:59:09 EDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

 >On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:
 >

> I'm having trouble setting the correct symbol for our EOC station.
> When I
> select the EOC symbol from the Primary Symbol Table, I get a lower-
> case "oh"
> in the Symbol box, which is correct.  But the map displays "no sym
> set".
> What am I doing wrong?
>

 > You select it graphically with the buttons, right?  When you
 > installed Xastir did you do a "make install" as root or "sudo make
 > install"?  That should have installed the symbol table at
 > /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/ if you installed in the default
 > location from sources.

The PC in question is an IBM laptop with XP.  I have the latest Hardy
VMware installed, so I assume that everything should be OK.  Xastir
version 1.9.5 is preloaded.  If I hand-enter the proper Overlay and
Symbol codes the graphic symbol for EOC appears.  But, using the
Select button to choose from the Primary/Secondary Symbol Tables, I
don't get the Overlay returned.  I did look for the symbols
directory.  It's there with the various *.xbm and symbols.dat files.

I just looked at my home station.  I can select the EOC icon via the
Select button and when I return to the Station setup screen, the
proper Group/Overlay and Symbol codes appear along with the actual
graphics symbol.  I am running 1.9.0...  Yikes!  I need to update my
home station!  I also see the symbols.dat and other *.xbm files in
the symbols directory.  My path is /usr/share/xastir, rather than /
usr/local/share/xastir.  Probably the way I installed back almost two
years ago.

So, the mystery continues...

73 - Dale.  KG5LT