[Xastir] Placing Markers on map

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Apr 5 01:50:44 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 10:46:41PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Because nobody has gotten around to coding up the ability.
> >
> > What it will require is for someone to code up a way to turn a CAD object into
> > a multiline object.  There is a currently-unused routine that can take
> > a list of lat/lon pairs and generate the multiline string and a point at the
> > center (average lat/lon), and it could be used for that.  But someone will need
> > to do the GUI work to allow specification of which CAD object to send out
> > this way, and assemble an object to go out over the air.
>

> We also need to add a more general capability:  A way to specify
> which objects get transmitted (public), and which are local
> (private).  Some data used in a search or EOC may be sensitive.
>
> These CAD objects as well as existing types of objects need to be
> represented in Xastir such that it's impossible to confuse their
> public/private state, yet make it possible to switch an object to
> the opposite state.  Of course these individual object states need
> to be persistent across crashes/restarts as well.

If one were to do it via a mechanism where the user specifies: "create an
over-the-air object out of this CAD object" then there can be no confusion.
CAD objects remain local, and only those generated by explicit copying into APRS
objects are public.  As APRS objects, they've got crash/restart permanence
(through object.log) and as CAD objects they do, too, through the CAD object
restart file.  Further, CAD objects look nothing like WXSVR polygons, so there
can be no visual confusion, either.

All that's needed is the ability to create one from the other.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation