[Xastir] Window resizing

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Apr 8 09:58:10 EDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> When I tried to recompile xastir 1.9.5, I ran into more "missing" lib's,
> tools, etc than you can shake a stick at.  I spent my whole evening trying to
> chase each missing component.  Often, a missing component needed something
> else for *it* to work.  Sheesh!  What a rat-race.  That's when the lightbulb
> turned on and I remembered back to my earlier days of linux and the developer
> install option.  I am backing up my effort on the Q1U as I write this.
> Tonight, I'll do the Xubunto 8.10 install *again* choosing the custom path.
> There may be an easier method, but it's not obvious to me at the moment.  I
> finally got openMotif to compile - I couldn't find any of the Xm/XM* stuff
> needed by xastir.  But, I still am getting an error when trying to compile
> pcre.  lcms compiled OK.  gdal installed OK by apt-get.  And, on it goes like
> a cat chasing it's tail...

  One of the beauties of the debian-based distros is the 'apt' system,
which does a beautiful job of pulling in dependencies for you.
   If you are running the distros xastir package, and you want to roll
your own from source, I don't believe you need to reinstall the entire OS,
but just install the missing packages:

  sudo apt-get install build-essential cvs make automake
  ...will pull in the compiler and tools

  sudo apt-get build-dep xastir
   ...will pull in all the -dev header packages necessary to compile and
link the version in the distro's repository.  The libraries themselves
should have been pulled in along with the distros xastir package.

   At this point, you should be able to grab a source tree from a tarball
or CVS, and configure and compile it.  The output of configure will tell
you about any libraries which are needed for new features not included in
the distros version, but at this point you'll have all the latest bugfixes
and tweaks, and probably only be lacking the latest 'experimental' map
types.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009