[Xastir] Moving Station questions

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Fri Apr 10 22:30:53 EDT 2009

As I get my xastir UMPC station ready, I have some questions
regarding going mobile with xastir.  Understand that when I ask these
questions, I have no way to test within a mobile environment.  If I
did, most of the questions would probably become obvious.

1.  Is the general appeal of xastir as a fixed-position (as in non-
moving) station an accurate one?  I realize that GPS information can
be fed to xastir, and it has SmartBeacon capability, implying that it
will work in a mobile environment.  I don't see anything in the Wiki
or HowTo's to help with the mobile folk.  Maybe I simply overlooked
it - unfortunately, I'm good at that...

2.  In a mobile environment, can xastir with any of the map types,
keep the moving station (more or less) centered in the map as the
vehicle travels?  Kind of like TomTom or any of the GPS display devices?

3.  If not keeping the vehicle more or less centered in a map, can
xastir, automatically bring up, say the next county or map section as
the lat/lon of the vehicle enters that county/section?  I'll assume
the maps have been pre-loaded in the maps directory, but not
necessarily "selected" for display (map chooser).

4.  Failing the last two questions, does it imply that the vehicle's
actual route must be pre-planned so the required maps are already
"selected" (map chooser)?

And finally:

5.  Assuming the route maps have been "selected", will xastir
"follow" the vehicle as it disappears off the screen?  Or, will
manual panning be required to advance the map to follow the vehicle?

The TrackMe button implies that the map will keep up with me as I
travel.  Correct?

Any and all light shed upon this subject is most welcome, and greatly
appreciated.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT