[Xastir] Moving Station questions

Craig Anderson acraiga at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 11 00:27:02 EDT 2009

Hi Dale,
	Comments below.

On Apr 10, 2009, at 7:30 PM, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> As I get my xastir UMPC station ready, I have some questions
> regarding going mobile with xastir.  Understand that when I ask
> these questions, I have no way to test within a mobile environment.
> If I did, most of the questions would probably become obvious.
>
> 1.  Is the general appeal of xastir as a fixed-position (as in non-
> moving) station an accurate one?  I realize that GPS information can
> be fed to xastir, and it has SmartBeacon capability, implying that
> it will work in a mobile environment.  I don't see anything in the
> Wiki or HowTo's to help with the mobile folk.  Maybe I simply
> overlooked it - unfortunately, I'm good at that...

I think it's real strong point is mobile operation.  A year or so ago
I was on a research balloon recovery mission riding in a Cessna 182
chase plane with Xastir tracking the balloon, the ground search teams,
and the plane.  The only issue is controlling all those cables!

> 2.  In a mobile environment, can xastir with any of the map types,
> keep the moving station (more or less) centered in the map as the
> vehicle travels?  Kind of like TomTom or any of the GPS display
> devices?

Less rather than more.  The map reload is very slow when you have lots
of local maps so it only moves the map when the target gets near an
edge.  But it will track.

> 3.  If not keeping the vehicle more or less centered in a map, can
> xastir, automatically bring up, say the next county or map section
> as the lat/lon of the vehicle enters that county/section?  I'll
> assume the maps have been pre-loaded in the maps directory, but not
> necessarily "selected" for display (map chooser).

They need to be "selected" or they won't show up even though the map
focus moves.

> 4.  Failing the last two questions, does it imply that the vehicle's
> actual route must be pre-planned so the required maps are already
> "selected" (map chooser)?

Selecting every map you've got is not a problem since it is only
displaying (and searching through) map data that is within your field
of view (zoom level and location).  You need to have every map you
want to see selected.

> And finally:
>
> 5.  Assuming the route maps have been "selected", will xastir
> "follow" the vehicle as it disappears off the screen?  Or, will
> manual panning be required to advance the map to follow the vehicle?
>
> The TrackMe button implies that the map will keep up with me as I
> travel.  Correct?

It will track you, or any station you designate.

Craig
n6yxk