[Xastir] GPS waypoint question

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:06:40 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if it is beneficial (mobile operator, fault tolerance,
> redundancy, etc) to have _both_ the radio display _and_ the xastir
> display (and, with a bit of hacking, the GPS waypoint display as
> well)?

Hmm, with an OT2, or a Kenwood D710 you can have all of this without
hacking. The OT2 has two serial ports, one would have the GPS
attached, sending $GPRMC and $GPGGA strings to the TNC (OT2 is a TNC),
while receiving $GPWPL strings from the OT2. The other serial port can
be attached to a laptop running whatever flavour of APRS program you'd
like. That program would be getting FULL APRS data from the TNC, and
if desired sending FULL APRS data as well.

With a D710, you can be sending $GPRMC and $GPGGA strings to the TNC
(yes, the D710 has a TNC built into it.), and you can have a APRS
program tied to the COM port on the back of the control head listening
to the APRS data, while the control head is doing the heavy lifting.

All with no hacking.

I find it to be a step backwards to be looking at reducing the data
available to the APRS program by ignoring the APRS data stream, and
only listening to the $GPWPL stream.

James
VE6SRV