[Xastir] GPS waypoint question

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:28:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, with an OT2, or a Kenwood D710 you can have all of this without
> hacking.

As much as I love the T2 (I own a couple), no one has gotten the APRS
summary for the mobile operator better than the D700 (and I assume
D710) control head.  The data summary on the T2+MAP60 is close, but
the UI is too futzy compared with the D700.

If you happen to have US$600 to throw at the problem, the D710 would
be a nice solution.

If you, like me, _already_ threw US$550 down for a D700, do you toss
it and spend $600 on the 710, or do you do a bit of clever coding and
supplement the xastir display with the data that the D700 provides?

This idea isn't some major operational mode, it's a small supplement
using available resources.

<rant>
and apropos of nothing, I looked at the D710 specs briefly over the
weekend, and I'd like to say (again) what a STUPID idea it was to use
a DIN connector for the serial port.  I'm sure some bean-counter
disguised as an engineer got a pat on the back for reducing the parts
count by one connector, and inflicting this non-standard, non-locking
serial connector on us.  I guess they had to top the incorrect gender
DB9 they put on the 700...
</rant>

I wish the serial connector was on the radio instead of the control
head, too.  Yet one more cable to run up to the dash...

-Jason
kg4wsv