[Xastir] GNIS data

Jerry Stueve k4int1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:55:13 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:05:54PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> > It does not appear that the old format is supported any longer. That's
> why I
> > noticed the change - all of a sudden, my map was covered with TN's (being
> the
> > state that I had on the map).
>
> Grrrrr.
>
> I, for one, would prefer that the changes be reverted, then.  The new GNIS
> data is too defective.

OK, I added .pop files for the old format files. I would have done it the
other way round if GNIS metatdata format was not the real change or if the
definition of GNIS had changed from USGS. The 'Locate Map Feature' option
was also expecting to use the GNIS data file and it was broke so that was
were this trip through wonderland began.

I was unable to get old format information for VA on aprs.tamu.edu. So I am
looking at information on Census site to extract data from available
resources to try to get that into old format. The script for get-pop is
severly limited as the file names are not readily decipherable by my
inspection.