[Xastir] Xastir is running on OSX

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 15 14:20:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> Currently I run this;
> ./configure --with-motif-includes=/usr/OpenMotif/include
> --with-motif-libs=/usr/OpenMotif/lib --without-perl

This will show you all of the options that Xastir's "configure"
command is capable of:

     ./configure -h | less

Notice there's no "--without-perl" flag listed.  That was an option
to the ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick "configure" that somebody
suggested to you.  Take that flag out of Xastir's configure line
'cuz it doesn't do anything for you.

> pcre (Shapefile customization) ......... : no
> dbfawk (Shapefile customization) ....... : no
> map caching (Raster map speedups) ...... : no

You'll need PCRE and PCRE development headers installed in order to
get dbfawk functionality.

For map caching you'll need the Berkeley DB library plus the
development headers, version 4.x.

With respect to the Berkely DB library: There are often conflicts
between versions if you have multiples installed.  It's common for
Xastir to find the header for one version during the
configure/compile stages, then get linked against a different
version when running the Xastir executable.  This can cause Xastir
to crash, so we added a run-time check for the DB version when you
start Xastir:  It'll cease and desist using Berkeley DB for caching
if it notices this condition, thereby avoiding a crash.  If you get
into this condition you'll see it in the output messages in the
Xterm that you started Xastir in.  If you start Xastir by clicking
on an icon instead, you'll never see the message.

Avoiding the problem completely:  Remove older versions of the DB
library and development headers before installing newer ones.

You may again need special flags to help configure find PCRE and/or
Berkeley DB.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer