[Xastir] Xastir is running on OSX

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Apr 15 14:43:24 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:20:28AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

[Berkeley DB]
> Avoiding the problem completely:  Remove older versions of the DB
> library and development headers before installing newer ones.

This is often not an option, especially if you have other programs installed
that have DB libraries as dependencies.  For example, on Ubuntu, trying to
remove an older version of DB often tells you that in order to do so you have
to remove five or ten other programs.

More important is that you have only the development headers for the
highest-numbered version of Berkeley DB libraries on your system.  You can
have all the older versions of libraries you like, just make sure you don't
have the headers to go with them.

Xastir's configure looks for the libraries starting with the highest-numbered
version and works its way down.  As long as your development headers correspond
to that, you're usually fine.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation