[Xastir] Can we get this fixed? Makefile.am warning

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 16 15:15:26 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 01:04:27PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:50:25AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> >
> > > ./bootstrap.sh
> >      7) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
> >      6) Running aclocal...
> >      5) Running autoheader...
> >      4) Running autoconf...
> >      3) Running automake...
> > scripts/Makefile.am:76: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
> >      2) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Found!
> >      1) Generating derived language files.....
> >
> > That warning was introduced within the last few weeks.
>
> This was introduced when the scripts Makefile.am was tweaked to insert
> the install prefix into various scripts.
>
> IMHO, inserting gnu make-specific extensions into Makefile.am is not OK.  There
> are some systems where "make" is not GNU make, and until this change it was
> possible to build Xastir without GNU make.  (Mine is one of those systems).

FWIW, the issue is that the Makefile.am file was changed to introduce
Makefile endproducts to produce scripts/values and scripts/values.pl from
values.in and values.pl.in.  This is the wrong approach.  The correct way to
do that is at configure time, which is done by adding scripts/values and
scripts/values.pl to the list of configured files in configure.ac and
rebootstrapping.

I'm looking into fixing it now.  Watch for a commit.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation