[Xastir] Weather Station

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Fri Apr 17 20:06:08 EDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:
>
>> Now, for some help.  I want to be able to connect the weather data
>> to APRS
>> via xastir *and* be able to do as I have in the past - log to
>> postgresql and
>> be able to not just have a tty-style display of weather data, but
>> a gui with
>> graphing capability of user-selected weather data elements and
>> date ranges.
>> That is my goal.
>>
>> 1.  Is there anything available today to do close to what I want and
>> open-source?
>
> Look at the Davis and LaCrosse directories in the Xastir sources.
> There are shims in there which do similar things to what you're
> talking about, 'cuz the apps that talk to the weather stations
> logged directly to MySQL.  Xastir then uses a shim to talk to the
> database to snag the weather data.
>
> Something similar could be created for the Peet Bros. versions and
> PostgreSQL I'm sure.

Yes, I looked at both.  That will be good for extracting archived
data from a database.  I'll also need the other part for extracting,
formatting and archiving the data from the Peet Bros 2000.  I think I
can do that based on my original weather software.  I did look at
wview as suggested by Bob, N4MRV.  Too bad they don't support Peet.
They do support four other weather stations.  And, they are open-
source, so I should be able to take one of those four stations and
mangle it (er, massage it) into a peet-look-alike and have my cake
and eat it too.

Thanks guys!

Now, on to my GUI rapid-IDE-challenged friend, Curt, et al...  hi hi

> You keep asking about GUI stuff...  We currently hand-craft our
> Motif widgets using generic C calls.  We're the wrong guys to ask!
> hi hi

OK, to be honest, I am very impressed with the whole xastir
development team.  The results (user-interface and underlying code))
are excellent!  I suppose one reason for hand-crafting the user-
interface is to make it platform independent.  I would hope that any
future development would/could have a good IDE to facilitate quick
and easy windows/controls creation and manipulation.  I guess I've
been spoiled by the free Visual Studio 2008 Express in the windows
world.  With VS/E you still can get down on your hands-n-knees and
twiddle the C code as necessary.  But, for the user-interface
(notice, I avoided the "gui" term  hi hi) a good IDE will be hard to
beat.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT