[Xastir] Weather Station

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 17 20:20:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> OK, to be honest, I am very impressed with the whole xastir development team.
> The results (user-interface and underlying code)) are excellent!

We have some dusty corners that we don't sweep much though.

> I suppose
> one reason for hand-crafting the user-interface is to make it platform
> independent.  I would hope that any future development would/could have a
> good IDE to facilitate quick and easy windows/controls creation and
> manipulation.  I guess I've been spoiled by the free Visual Studio 2008
> Express in the windows world.  With VS/E you still can get down on your
> hands-n-knees and twiddle the C code as necessary.  But, for the
> user-interface (notice, I avoided the "gui" term  hi hi) a good IDE will be
> hard to beat.

I've used GUI designers for other projects.

The contenders are probably Qt, Gtk+, FLTK, and WxWidgets.  There
are GUI designers for each of these to make the work easier.
Licensing is a key issue, as of course cross-platform compatibility.
Choice of coding language also affects the choice of the GUI.

We took a vote a while back and the choice was C++ for development
of Xastir-NG.

Development of a daemon and database back-end wouldn't require any
GUI work and could be started on earlier before that decision was
made.  Actually, we could have multiple sets of GUI pieces, each
with different widget sets, but have one master set that is the
"reference" set we distribute.  Others could be separate projects
run by separate teams.

The last time we brought this up we started down the path of UML and
Use Cases.  We didn't get far down either of those paths.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer