[Xastir] Xastir is running on OSX

C. Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Fri Apr 17 21:19:26 EDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 15:42, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Craig Anderson wrote:
>
>> A worthy and very appreciated effort.  But I would suggest trying
>> it without Fink or Macports.  I've had significant problems with
>> both Fink and Macports. They both seem to change (and are broken)
>> very often.  When I next take a run at this I'm going to try it
>> without either Fink or Macports; install all the parts directly.
>
> Huh, kind of like many of us do on Linux?  hi hi
>
> There is certainly some satisfaction to doing it all yourself and
> bypassing 3rd-party packaging problems!
>
> I do realize that many people coming from the Mac world have zero
> background in Unix/Linux, even though they're running Unix now under
> the hood.  Most don't care either.  ;-)

That is only really part of the problem. Since Mac OS X is based on
FreeBSD but does do some things differently (different locations, some
items not present) this makes it difficult at times to get things to
build. It should be the same as on any Linux system, but it isn't. And
since there are relatively few of us around, that means it's tough to
get help. I've found Fink to be reliable and simple to use (especially
if you stay out of the unstable tree). You don't need to upgrade
everything a new something comes along, but you can. And it's quick
and simple to do. Most times I've had problems it was because I got
stupid and tried to monkey with things I shouldn't have (like manually
delete files). So I think I'd have to disagree and encourage beginners
who aren't particularly geeky, or who don't want to invest the time,
to try MacPorts or Fink.

> Heck, my parents and my sister are Mac-heads.  We had a big
> (computer) rift in our family that was totally cured when Mac went
> to Unix!

-- Chip
      n1mie at mac.com