[Xastir] New capability: 2008 Tiger Shapefile street maps (Curt, WE7U)

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sat Apr 18 15:41:03 EDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
>> ? ?vi ~/.xastir/config/map_index.sys
>> ? ?:g/tabblock/s/01000/00995/
>> ? ?:g/pointlm/s/01000/00996/
>> ? ?:g/arealm/s/01000/00997/
>> ? ?:wq
>>
>> (Who's a "sed" user? ?Give us some commands to do the same thing in
>> sed please! ?Commands should be similar but can then be scripted.)
>

> Curt - try out something like this:
>
> sed -i -e "/tabblock/s/01000/00995/g" \
>          -e "/pointlm/s/01000/00996/g" \
>          -e "/arealm/s/01000/00997/g" map_index.sys
>

> If I remember my seddish correctly, that should do it.  Note this
> would require GNU sed for the -i parameter (in place) - with other sed
> binaries, you'd need something more like this:
>
> cp map_index.sys mapindex.sys.bak
> sed -e "/tabblock/s/01000/00995/g" \
>          -e "/pointlm/s/01000/00996/g" \
>          -e "/arealm/s/01000/00997/g" map_index.sys.bak >
> map_index.sys
>

> Someone please try this out and see if it works like it should!

The second one worked for me, Jeremy.  Because of my font in the
Macbook email client I use (grrrr), it wasn't clear that you need a
space between the last double-quote and the backslash of each line.
That should have been obvious, but was once I got an error!  Most
reflectors require plain text vs rich-text-font (rtf).  I have tried
making some of my commands in Courier or Courier New (like these), so
the fixed-width fonts take the guesswork out of proper spacing, etc.
But, the email client I use requires me to send in rtf when I specify
a fixed-width font.  So, I'm not sure if they come through the
reflector that way.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT