[Xastir] The ultimate editor...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 20 01:09:57 EDT 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Richard Polivka, N6NKO wrote:

> Altair 8080. Having to write the bootstrap loader in 32 bytes (may be wrong
> on that length) to set the serial port, initialize the disk controller and
> where to start loading the bios, that had to be hacked on for your system. Of
> course both had to fit in one track on a 8" floppy.

I started out w/o hard drives, w/o floppies, w/o tape drives.
Programs disappeared if you shut off the computer.  Input was 8
toggle switches (one byte wide) and a pushbutton, plus a few mode
switches.  Put it in load mode, start flipping toggles in binary and
then push the pushbutton.  Make a mistake, start over.

The entire memory was 256 bytes.

Output was two LED hexadecimal displays.

I still have it somewhere.  I should frame it.  Or let my kids try
it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer