[Xastir] Heads up for Ubuntu 8.04 users of libproj

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 23 13:00:32 EDT 2009

This is sort of a irrelevant for most Xastir users, but could be
significant to any of you who have installed libproj for use by other
programs, as I do.

I have just discovered that the version of "proj" installed by Synaptic Package
Manager (or apt-get) on Ubuntu 8.04 ("Hardy") appears to have been built
without correct datum transformation information.  I discovered this while
writing a bit of code that used libproj and noticed that when I tried to mix
and match NAD27 and NAD83 lat/lon coordinates it wasn't doing any of the
transformations right.

You can check your install of proj by executing the following command:

cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=latlong +datum=NAD27

and giving it the following input:
106d38'17.94"W 35d15'40.14"N

It should produce the following output if it's working properly:
106d38'15.843"W 35d15'39.993"N -0.000

When I used the version of cs2cs that was installed by Synaptic (or apt), it
printed the same coordinates as the input, which is completely wrong.

This has NO impact on Xastir users at all, because Xastir does not use the
proj library for datum conversion, and only does any datum conversion in the
geotiff map display --- it does so with a set of routines that Curt wrote, not
with libpproj.  So  this is totally irrelevant to 99.9% of Xastir users.  As
far as I know, Xastir only requires proj to be installed because libgeotiff
needs it internally --- as far as I know, it needs proj only for functions we
don't even use.

But if you're on Ubuntu 8.04 and use libproj for anything else, you have to
pitch the one installed through the package system and install from source with
the correct datum shift grids (a two step process that requires putting the
grid shift data into the source tree and then building the code).  Since
the packages for libgeotiff depend on the package for proj, you therefore have
to build *that* from source, too.  Again, almost no Xastir users would need to
bother except those who use proj for programs other than Xastir.

If someone out there is using 8.10, could you check whether the proj package
there has the same error?  I have chosen to stick with 8.04 for its full
3 year support term and not upgrade to a completely new version every 6 months.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation